Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day One and We're On the Run!

Quick little background: eight months ago I applied to the Peace Corps.  I was initially nominated for a September departure, secondary science teaching in Sub-Saharan Africa.  April comes around, my medical clearance goes through, and next thing I know I'm receiving an email if I'd be willing to leave the first week of June and dedicate some time to learning French.  After mucho freaking out, I said why not?  I've been talking about the Peace Corps for a couple years, I'll have graduated school, there's nothing holding me back, and the time is now, right?

Now, here I am sitting in a hotel in Philadelphia, about to leave on a twenty seventh month escapade in Burkina Faso.  Two months ago, I couldn't have told you where Burkina Faso is, let alone that it was a country.  You would think my nerves would be running high, but I am surprisingly calm.  I think for the first time in the long time everything has fallen into the right place and I know it's going to work out (including lot's of illness, heat, and the biggest challenges I will ever have to face). 

Today I flew to Philly for Staging - the initial orientation, are you sure you know what you are getting into?  We have a group of 50 as they combined several programs into one.  Everyone is open, friendly and ready to bond!  Attending orientation was like attending a class where everyone wants to participate and learn; after sixteen years in school, it's a new experience.  Tomorrow we head to the doctors clinic for some shots, before heading to JFK to fly out!  Peace America, you and everyone you hold will be missed.  I don't know the next time I'll be able to post, but hopefully I'll have a good story to share!

I love you all!

3 comments:

  1. I love the blog already! I hope you will be able to update once in awhile because letters are sloooowwwwww. It sounds like you are feeling great, which puts me at ease. Sending you lots of love and wishes that the shots aren't too awful tomorrow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maren, Grammo and I just had coffee and talked about you (and other stuff too- ha ha)
    Can't wait to hear about your flight and first impressions of BF. Love you xoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete